Monday, December 7, 2009

Reconsidering the Superhero


When I realized that I had to pick some kind of superhero comic I sorta felt bored. It's just that I had sorta gotta tired a long time ago with superheroes. The constant "I'll save you", the many various villains that prey on their weaknesses. The many relationships that are destroyed because of secrets and constant denial. That was what I primarily remember when I used to read comics more frequently. But then I came to this course.....My appreciation for comics/graphic novels have soared. Mabye because I never knew or was not able to get the various forms of comics this class has shown to me. I appreciate even more when I decided to read Bill Willingham's Fables. It's a graphic novel (to me) of fairy tail creatures and people known through literature being forced by an enemy to hide their existence but yet live in the human (mundy to them) world. I was really suprised when I read this story. I didn't think that it would appeal to me since recently I am more interested in Japanese manga. But just the the retelling and transformations of these folklore are so appealing. Changing the Big Bad wolf into a sheriff that is trying to enforce control, so that they can be protected. Then seeing that The prince from all the fairy tails is actually a womanizer who is devious and smart. Just the way they interact, coping with living in the real world, driven away from their homes. It makes such a wonderful plot. I ended up reading just about all of it. Every page is a visual delight. And I like the Illustrations for the cover very much. For me this is the best comic/graphic novel I have ever read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger