Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wordless Comic-Frank in the River/ Cartoonist Track


Wow. For me Frank in the River by Jim Woodring was like a psychedelic trip into a colorful world. He was able to really convince you that the character is experiencing emotions and is alive. I trully like the strong, vibrant colors he has within the artwork. The story was very good at being subjective. I liked the scene when Frank finds out what the Pig guy used to make food.

To me I understood wordless comics as comics that simulate motion and give a feeling of a story. Like sequential art, you capture the moment of the expression of the character or the scene. It chose to draw about Felix the Cat because he used to (well still is, but not much) be so popular in the past. He was such a funny, witty and whimsical cat that everyone loved watching. But then came Walt Disney's' best creation Mickey Mouse. So I just wanted to simulate what Felix would feel like after being out-shined. I wanted him to look like a worker, not the always smiling cartoon meant to please millions. I liked drawing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger